Friday, 29 July 2011

88* by Bistrotheque. Where we go to dinner on a speedboat



Our destination - I didn't take this, obviously.

Last Friday evening The Actor and I had dinner at Bistrotheque's latest pop-up restaurant 88.  We're very lucky to be invited to such fun things.  The venue was a soon-to-be-demolished postmodern office building in Canary Wharf.  Built in 1988, the theme was the glamour and excess of that time.  All the music was from 1988 and the food reflected the new Italian style that became popular at some of London's most popular restaurants - Le Caprice, The River Café and Alistair Little.


The others were picked up from Westminster Pier.  We were a bit late so rather than go into town The Actor and I got a cab to Tower Bridge Millenium Pier.  Not the best shot, it was 7.30pm and the weather was a bit gloomy.


Here's our lift

What a lovely way to get there

Here's the gang

I've never been driven to dinner on a speedboat before.  Not even in the 80's!


Two of my favourite boys ever - Bistrotheque co-owner David Waddington and the wonderful Giles Deacon


G H Mumm sponsored the boat and provided the Champagne, four different varieties to go with dinner.

Someone produced a packet of Sobranie cocktail cigarettes.  Remember them?  Here's LOVE magazine Editor-in-Chief Katie Grand, designer Jonathan Saunders, Fashion Director of Wonderland magazine, Grace Cobb and Catherine Russell, the publisher of LOVE.


David has a pink Sobranie.  I just sucked on my plastic nicotine inhaler!  Note the big boat in the background, they all started waving and calling us for some reason


So everyone waved back.  Gorgeous Phoebe Arnold, Fashion Director of Ponystep


I love Grace's shoes - perfect for going on a boat!

David made me get behind the wheel for photo op.  I'm looking rather windswept here


We're here.  It only took about ten minutes.  Centre is model Missy Raydar


Heron Quay

Joanie


We're greeted by my lovely friend, actress Gwendoline Christie

Hosts David Waddington and actress Gwendoline Christie along with the waiters and waitresses were all dressed in clothes from or inspired by that period by designers including Thierry Mugler, Katharine Hamnett and Giles Deacon and styled by Grace Cobb.  I'm afraid I didn't get any more pictures of those.


They've gone really 80's in here so I won't make apologies for my pictures being pink but there was a lot of neon.

I like the fact the chap on the left is getting into the swing of 1988 with his smiley face t shirt and baseball cap

Princess Julia looking fabulous as always.  I love her vintage turban.  That nail polish looks familiar, it's Vix's favourite too

It was great to see the girls - Designer Hazel Robinson, Fashion's East's Lulu Kennedy, Hayley Richardson and designer Sophie Damann

I'm trying to show that we're in the middle of lots of office blocks.  It was quite a view.


Here's the smoking balcony.  I still hang out there even though I don't smoke anymore.

Now the food - There were big bowls of everything to share, I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture of the starter so here's a professional one.  My plate had a lot more on my plate than this.  The Actor and I finished a bowl of tapenade and the gorgeous tomato salad


Bruschetta with tapenade, artichoke hearts, salted duck and gooseberries, yellow and red tomato salad 


Pea risotto


Coquelet - or to quote Princess Julia "Baby chicken to you, dears".  Julia also said "It's like a scene out of Eraserhead."


Rocket and parmesan - not that you actually need a picture of this


And pavlova for pudding

Gwendoline was force fed the pavlova.  We were into the tiramisu shots by now

A bit of acid house came on.  Lulu and Catherine were into it.  Jean Marc looks disinterested


Oh hello, here we go - he starts pulling some dance moves - I wish I took more pictures, I love Jean Marc's dancing


Hazel was on brilliant form

A little bit of fashion and in keeping with the neon theme - I love Lulu's lucite clutch by Charlotte Olympia.  And her sunnies!

And her shoes by Michael Van der Ham.  The designers give Lulu great stuff and she wears it all so brilliantly.  I always want to know what she's wearing.

Then Lulu, Gwendoline and The Actor decide to style Hazel using some torn up napkins.  I'm not sure what look they were aiming for...

She loves it really and she's pulling it off very well.

Somewhere around this point the espresso Martini shots came out - they were fantastic.  Then it was time for us to go home.

I had a really fun night, thank you so much boys xxx


30 comments:

Terri said...

Looks like a fabulous party. I'd been wondering how the smoking was going. It's a habit I've yet to kick.

Vix said...

Dear Christina, bloody hell, dinner via speedboat, how fab!
My 1980's was never that glamorous, it was all pointy shoes and bad hair.
You look gorgeous with your fluffy stole. I love some of those insane shoes, too, especially the lime green ones.
I do remember Sobrainie, the height of sophistication, I 'm so impressed you didn't cave in with those on offer.
Love you! xxx

Mo said...

Looks like a great night out i do love a theme. I have never seen anyone carry off the napkin look with such panache either. x

Wildernesschic said...

Amazing and Tina before I say anything else so well done on the smoking I cannot believe that you are still inhaler total .. well done you xx
Fabulous photos and I love all the shoes.. and the turban ..just amazing.. yup next life will be spent as your mate in London.. and have a gaff in NYC too xx

Young at Heart said...

ooh I got an eee about 88 ....it looks like a fabulous night out ....you're back on social form!! haven't been to bistrotheque for ages...am long over due one of those delicious bloody mary's!!xx

Perdita said...

I adore the late 80s, it was just at the time I started moving into 'grown up' clothes (well, teenage clothes. But no more frilly party dresses, neon and pale denim aaaall the way, and a tape of music that puzzled my dad). This meal looks deeply delish, I love reading about your exploits and fabulous friends!!

Kitty said...

Espresso martini shots sound FABUKLOUS AND YUMMY!! But pavlova? Sorry, I see no pavlova there...from an Australian, right?

Mrs P said...

What a glamorous evening and again I have to say I don't know how you do it - you look fab in the huge sunglasses and fur, please tell me that you had a hangover after champagne, tiramisu shots???, and espresso martinis? My parents had coffee table boxes of those Sobrani cigarettes, the colours were so gorgeous, I don't know how I didn't end up a smoker. They had the black russian ones too with the gold tips - how kitsch. Well done to you again for resisting such temptation. Have a lovely weekend.

West Hollywood Voyeur said...

TAKE ME WITH YOU!
ANYWHERE!
I'M SO TIRED!

I'm laughing too hard now ,gotta go!

WHV.

legend in his own lunchtime said...

Getting back to the blogs after a wee break. I have missed all your antics, so I have some back reading to do. The pavlova looked amazing.

Belle de Ville said...

OMG, that looks like it was so much fun.

Alison Cross said...

I'm with West Hollywood Voyeur - TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! It looks such a lot fun - you are lucky you know!

As Legend says - Pavlova looks amazing. Send me up some crumbs ;-)

Ali x

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

"Not even in the eighties."
This made me laugh!!
I want to tag along sometime!!

Helena Halme said...

I remember the eighties far too well, but we were never as stylish as that. All my old pictures show me wearing clashing colours..

Looks like some party - really well done on not smoking. Must have been very hard?

Helena xx

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-wow, what a totally decadent and fun filled evening, I read about that last week and how amazing you were there enjoying yourself, how fabulous!! Good for you and well done on the smoking front, I still smoke a little every day, tut tut!! have a lovely weekend xxx

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I always hang with the smokers, too. They're more fun.

What a glamorous fucking night! Thanks for sharing it with us poor miserable slobs. Laugh.

Love you SO. Have a great weekend.

Smashingbird said...

Looked like a total blast! I bet the espresso martinis were delish! Congrats on still not smoking, I need to quit again. Are the inhalers any good? xx

Alex said...

Oh Christina, what a fab night out! I can't quite join in with the reminiscing as I was only 5 in 1988 but I've muchly enjoyed reading this post.

You look like you were born to drive a speedboat. Not windswept, just gorgeous as always.

I am immensely jealous of Princess Julia's turban too.

Misfits Vintage said...

OMG you do have the MOST fabulous life Christina! Everyone looks gorgeous and I LOVE the pic of you driving the boat - you are so beautiful.

Also - those yellow shoes? They rule my world.

Sarah xxx

Ms. Moon said...

I am back from Asheville, North Carolina where believe me, darling, there is NOTHING like this, even though it is fabulous. And now I'm home in Lloyd and fabulous is just a word I heard somewhere...
Okay. I'm going to lose twenty pounds (what is that? a million stone?) and come to see you and have you do me up and show me how to party. Okay?
Love, love, LOVE!
Mary
P.S. You are so gorgeous.

La Dama said...

A speedboat party? how posh amor,
love that pic of you and your fluffy stole.mmm espresso martini shoots sound lovely.

Here is my new blog addres just incase you couldnt find me.

http://vpjlm.blogspot.com/

Theo Theroux said...

Well this is just ridiculous, you've somehow out glamored yourself. A fucking speedboat on the Thames to the 80's for good food with beautiful people in a hot outfit. GLAMOR!

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

High heels are an absolute must on a boat trip to a swanky do!! I lurve the shot of you in your fur:)) xo

Vintage Sparkle said...

Dear Christina,
I rarely comment on your blog anymore as you get some many comments I figure you wouldn't miss one more but I just wanted to tell you that I still follow your blog almost religiously and enjoy every post very much.
xx

Auto Loan Rate Quote said...

.it looks like a incredible date ....you're again on public form!! haven't been to bistrotheque for age groups...am lengthy over due one of those delightful weakling

Nationwide Auto Loan said...

Looks like an excellent date i do really like a style. I have never seen anyone bring off the paper napkin look with such fashion either

Maria22 said...

These images looks like very funny. I feel happy to see this post.

pogotowie kanalizacyjne warszawa

Cafe24 Fashion Blog said...

This is really a good place! :)

Semen Rendi said...

Find the latest used and new boats for sale.
Great used boat deals and prices.
More here used boats

ali said...

Find Best Online Home based Jobs
www.jobzcorner.com