Tuesday, 31 May 2011

My weekend



Photography by Britta Jaschinski

After my big night out I was good for nothing so I stayed in and watched films all day Friday which was lovely.  

Mrs Jones came to stay in the evening and on Saturday I helped her unpack a ton of stuff into her new shop.  The Actor watched the football with his friends.  How brilliant were Barcelona?  I'm no expert on football but it was clear in the first five minutes that Man U had no chance.

Sunday was The Actor and I's anniversary.  We've been together for five years now since getting together at our friend Andy Lincoln's stag night on May Bank Holiday 2006.  I took all twenty nine boys to Fabric and The Actor never left.  I have no idea where the time's gone!  He's still the best boyfriend ever.

The lovely Andy

We go out to enough fancy restaurants and we both wanted something more relaxed so I booked a table at one of our favourite places, the fantastic Royal Oak in Columbia Road which is five minutes from home.

Columbia Road has it's famous flower market every Sunday.  There's lots of great independent shops, bars and restaurants.  The whole area has a Dickensian feel, it was built in 1860 and has cobbled streets and Victorian lighting.

Most of the stallholders have been there for generations.  I always go late when you can pick up some great bargains.  I saw a brilliant orange tree for £20 and a giant olive but I managed to resist buying them, plus I'd have had to cart them home after a big lunch.

The Royal Oak is a great pub

There's a lovely dining room upstairs decorated with art deco furniture


We had Bloody Mary's, some Champagne and a dozen oysters

We shared roast rib of beef with a huge homemade Yorkshire pudding

And the roast belly of pork with apple sauce.  It looks a bit radioactive with the flash on, it wasn't burnt either, the crackling was perfect.  We were tempted by the chocolate mousse and the gooseberry fool but didn't have room.  The Sunday lunch is excellent at the Royal Oak and booking is essential for the upstairs dining room.

In the evening Giles, Phoebe and Neil came over for drinks then Giles left as he had to catch a plane early in the morning and Phoebe and Neil went off to the Ponystep party in Clerkenwell.

I've hardly seen The Actor as he's been away filming a lot over the last three months so we stayed in with another bottle of Jack Daniels and Coke, he played guitar for a bit then the iPods came out and we blasted out music and danced all night.  There was lots of the Stones, Dylan, De La Soul, punk, dance music, all sorts.



The tune of the night had to be Iggy Pop's The Passenger.  There was a lot of leaping around going on to this.  Luckily my neighbours are used to it.

I love Iggy.  Isn't this a beautiful picture?


Here's a blurred shot of The Actor and I on Monday morning

I think I've had a sugar overload with all that Coca Cola and I have a free afternoon, so I'm back in bed with my laptop where I shall be catching up with everyone at long last.  It's the first weekend in ages I've not been online, I've missed you all!

I hope you had a fabulous Bank Holiday weekend xxx


36 comments:

Bourbon&Pearls said...

You really do know all the atmospheric nooks in London. I'm saving them all for future trips.
Oh wow, look at young Iggy, he looks beautiful there, though I still think he looks incredible. I like the stringy sinewy muscular look at any age.

Perdita said...

What a fab lunch, oysters, beef, yorkshire pud.... DROOOOL. My idea of a perfect meal! :)

Simone said...

What a brilliant week-end :)

I love Columbia Road, haven't been for ages....used to go a lot at one time as a friend lived nearby and we would always end up having a pub lunch somewhere there...those were the days :)

Never thought I'd read a football comment on your fabulously stylish blog ;) Glad that they got thrashed tho :)

I know you are off on holiday soon. I'm not off til August but I did go to the gym 3 times as I had planned last week. I think I probably undid all the good I may have done, after a huge roast lunch out on Sun and then eating myself out of house and home yesterday while it rained all day!!! Oh well, back to the drawing board :)

Have a great week Christina :) xx

PS Thought of lovely Andrew Lincoln this morning - Vanessa Paradis is on the cover of the latest Vogue and they quoted him saying lovely things about her after the movie they did last year. What a nice man he is!!

Misfits Vintage said...

What a gorgeous perfect day for you two! That pub looks fantastic. Of COURSE you are friends with the gorgeous Andy! Is he as lovely as I suspect? Give his arse a lovely big pinch from me.

Congratulations on your five year anniversary - and much love to you both.

Sarah xxx

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-congratulations on your anniversary, sounds like a gorgeous relaxing weekend and how lovely to have some quality time together after all the Actors filming! Your meal looked totally scrumptious too! Have a wonderful week ahead xxx

mon sac by me said...

Iggy.......what a beauty !

http://monsacbyme.com

sacramento said...

Happy annyversary to the two fabulous you.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

CameronPoe2409 said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the fact that you are both still having fun whether its with a crowd or just the two of you and I love the story of how you met! I've been with my husband for ten years and we still have a great time together (even last night when we were attempting to give one of our dogs a much-needed haircut). xx PS I didn't realise how gorgeous Iggy Pop was! xx

Smashingbird said...

Hi Christina
Big Congrats to you both!
Looks like a perfect weekend.
Becka xxx

Elegancemaison said...

Congratulations on the anniversary, you seem to be so happy. What a way to celebrate with that Sunday lunch and those oysters! Wish we had pub (or even restaurant) food like that around here. We had to make do with rather horrible bacon rolls and greasy cakes while visiting car boots and flea markets, but we did bag some bargains. Cx

Vintage Vixen said...

Happy Anniversary, you two! What a wonderful weekend, that picture of the pair of you is fabulous.
I'd forgotten how gorgeous Iggy Pop used to be, he's a bit too permatanned and sinewy these days.
Love you. xxx

Caroline, No. said...

Ahh, congratulations, you two seem so happy together. LOVE Iggy, what a dude he is. xx

DaniBP said...

What a tremendously fun way to celebrate your anniversary, I'm so glad it was a happy one for both of you!
I love oysters and champers, I'm on a liver regime just now in preparation for France so no cocktails for me, but my that looks good.
Enjoy your rest xo

Make Do Style said...

Happy Anniversary and what a lovely celebratation! When I went to see Iggy Pop in my youth he was utterly brilliant. Love that pic of him.
xx

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, darling. What a lovely way to spend an anniversary! Thank you for taking us along (for parts of it- anyway!)
Your posts are always as gorgeous as you too, and they make me so very happy.

Northern Snippet said...

The pub looks lovely just my kind of Sunday lunch.
Thanks for the link to the poodle post BTW cheered me up after a very bad couple of days x

Alison Cross said...

Congratulations on 5 years!!! May it be the first five of many, many more.

Food looks fantastic - that's the biggest Yorkshire Pudding I've ever seen. And, of course, my non-existent gallbladder still managed to give me a good kick when I started drooling over the pork belly!

lots of love and hugs

Ali x

Miss Peelpants said...

Congratulations you gorgeous pair!

(I'm craving Sunday roast now, and it's only Tuesday. Dammit!!!) xx

Alex said...

I'm still mildly swooning over the Andrew Lincoln picture. Must pull myself together and comment properly...

Happy anniversary! Bravo to The Actor for appearing on the blog, albeit with his face hidden. You two look fab together.

I'm having a very stern diet week so I don't dare look at the food photos for fear that they'll set me off raiding the kitchen cupboards. Bet it was a scrummy lunch though.

ps - Iggy does look rather hot in that pic. Where did it all go wrong??

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments and wishes! Iggy was bloody gorgeous wasn't he? xx

Sarah, Andy is just as lovely xx

Alex, The Actor doesn't know he's on the blog but you can't see his face anyway!

Fifteen years of heroin happened to Iggy. I still love him though xx

Reggie Darling said...

It looks like you've been having a lot of fun lately...well deserved!

Fashionistable said...

I love Columbia Rd too. I am there quite often with my camera. Thanks for the recommendation for the Royal Oak I will check it out. Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary. When is tha boy going to propose.....or would you not like that? Must be hard when he is away for long stretches filming, but I guess that just comes with the territority. I love it that you dance so much at home. Xxxx

Sage said...

aah it sounds Wonderful! Happy Anniversary :)

But no room for chocolate mousse?? Shame on you! *lol*

S xxx

Young at Heart said...

aaaaaaaaah so cute....many happy annaversary days....and now the sun is out!! xx

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Happy anniversary to you both ... I think my favourite pic is the one taken of the two of you in the reflection of the mirror. So much love between you xoxo

ELLE said...

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary! I have another year to go till that milestone. Have made a mental note to check out The Royal Oak's roast dinners- they look so amazing.

Kitty said...

Aah, sweeeet!! Happy anniversary, sounds like you had a lovely time.xx.

That's Not My Age said...

Ooh a glimpse of The Actor, how exciting!
x

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Congratulations to you and the Actor on your anniversary! I wish you two many, many, more happy years together.

I love you, dear girl. By the way, your food at the restaurant looked marvelous!

SB

Vintage Sparkle said...

First off, I love the photo of the two of you, so cute! He looks like a teenager-do you have yourself a toyboy or have I just paid him a huge compliement?? ;)
Secondly, I can't believe you know Andrew Lincoln, I just loved him in The Walking Dead. Me and husband were addicted to it! xx

Penny Dreadful said...

Happy anniversary to you both Christina, you seem really happy together. The food at the Royal Oak looks delish, I never seem to get around to Sunday lunch xx

YvonneSedition said...

Happy anniversary! Glad you had such a good one. I really miss the Royal Oak's food. Funnily enough when I first used to go there it was a totally different kind of place on a Sunday morning. I've grown up since then I guess ;)

Thanks for 'The Passenger' too, it's been one of my favourite songs for years.

xx

Pearl Westwood said...

Happy anniversary!! I cant get over the size of that Yorkshire pud, wow, there is no where around here where you can get a proper good sunday lunch any more. x

La Dama said...

Happy Anniversary to the both of you.
mmm love big Yorkshire puddings.
I think the foto of you two, is so romantica.

Mrs P said...

Ok now I've seen the pub food at your local I totally understand why you wouldn't want to cook in - oysters at your local! Also I love your Andy he was brilliant as Egg in This Life (I have the videos - cant bear to get rid of them even though we dont have a player), and he was fab in that BBC Love thing which was on last year. Cant recognise your Actor though, but with friends like John Simm (how good was Exile?) I'm guessing he is up there with the best.

dinoprincesschar said...

hehe i can't believe you sneaked a pic of him on here :)

happy anniversary to you both (belatedly). sorry i'm so hopeless at comments recently!