Saturday, 21 May 2011

Karlie and Princess Julia open The Amwell Street Knocking Shop




Last night I went to the preview of Karlie Shelley and Princess Julia's new place The Amwell Street Knocking Shop.  A fantastic pop-up shop open until Sunday 26th June selling vintage and archive clothing by their friends and lots interesting things from their personal collections.  


The lovely Karlie Shelley

My wonderful friend Princess Julia

There's label and non-label vintage from all eras.  Everything's at knock-down prices.  I saw three or four dresses I'd love.  The most expensive one was £70, reduced from the designer's original price of £495.  There's all sorts of hats, bags, costume jewellery, random accessories and vintage books from Maiden's Noah Crutchfield.

There's archive and vintage from Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen, Pam Hogg, A Child of The Jago, Joe Corre, Ben Westwood, World's End, Lanvin, Robert Carey Williams, Margiela, Noki, Preen, Lanvin, accessories by Judy Blame, hats by Piers Atkinson and Mich Dulce and an array of vintage from Felicity Hayward, Josh Quinton, Lauren Webb, Yasmina Dexter and Pinkie Love.

63 Amwell Street is in a lovely area full of Georgian terraces and squares known as Finsbury.  It's two minutes from Angel, Islington.

I turned up and realised I'd  forgotten to put my camera chip in.  Luckily I told photographer Brett Walker (far left) how senile I'm going and he saved me by producing exactly the right camera chip from his jeans pocket.  Thank you Brett.

It's a lovely place to have a vintage shop and there's nothing like it nearby


Princess Julia.  This made me think of a picture from 1980 of Julia outside PX in Covent Garden


The fantastic Christos Tolera


These two are fabulous - Josh Quinton and Felicity Hayward


Singer Ronnie Wise and DJ Jeffrey Hinton in the shop's back garden.  It even has plastic flamingoes


Art Director Daniel Fico and Photographer and DJ Rob Gardner


Naddy Sane and Rebecca Hegarty


The guests ended up at the pub opposite, my old local and Shane Macgowan's favourite boozer - Filthy McNasty's

I lived in Myddleton Square right next to it for years


I had a quick cider with my gorgeous friend Phoebe Arnold, Fashion Director of Ponystep magazine


Phoebe shows me the Pam Hogg leather dress she's just bought for £120.  It looks amazing on.  Her sunglasses are a present from Mandi Lennard


DJ Nathan Wilkins.  I love his Dries Van Noten jacket


Brilliant stylist Kim Howells


The fabulous milliner Piers Atkinson

Let's have a little look around...


There's all sorts of one-off's on that rail

I love Piers Atkinson's cherry headpiece


And it comes in pink or yellow

I really wanted to get this out of the window and try it on but there was too much going on.  I can't resist a hat

They even cater for cat lovers


Some great vintage books


There's plenty of shelves to rummage through


One of Pam Hogg's amazing catsuits

Even the basement kitchen is cute.  And there's more downstairs

I thought this was the changing room with all the curtains but it's actually a screening room.  They're currently showing Today is Boring (Tree and Adam Carr) with a guest curator and refreshments.  There's Straight Up Day with i-D Online where customers can either wear purchases from the shop or as they come and be put on i-D Online.  Other events will include Life/Fashion drawing classes, Sami Knight's vintage hairdressing salon and appointment only portraits with DJ Alpha Deluxe on Saturday 28th May.

I popped in to see the girls on this afternoon on my way to get some food from M&S and had to try  on the cherry headpiece

Photograph by Naddy Sane

Who can resist shopping with the fabulous Julia?  London's most glamorous shopkeeper!  Do visit if you can, it's well worth a look for something different and unusual and they have new stock coming in all the time.


The Amwell Street Knocking Shop
63 Amwell Street
London
EC1R 1UR

Opening hours until 26th June 2011
Friday 12pm - 8pm
Saturday 12pm - 8pm
Sunday 12pm - 8pm
Weekdays by appointment
Telephone - 020 7833 5512

Hope you're having a brilliant weekend xxx


28 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I want Nathan's jacket!

Misfits Vintage said...

Bloody hell - if I went there my head would explode. Everything is SO fabulous! I adore the gal with the pink hair in the garden. And the cherry headpiece is exquisite! And that catsuit is amazing. I am envious, Christina!

Sarah xxx

Kitty said...

Oh these 2 SERIOUSLY have their eye on the ball! Soooo many pieces are stand-alone fabulous, i.e. it's not just average pieces that look better than they are because they're well displayed. I hope that makes sense to you!

sacramento said...

I definitely will ask you were to go next time I am in London, my dear Christina.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That's Not My Age said...

Looks fantastic - and brilliant name! I paid Amwell Street a visit on Thursday for a hair cut (at The Hairdressers), with the lovely Guy

Fay said...

hi Christina that certainly looks like fun You would flip at the "vintage" shops here
A cos they arent vintage
B they are SOOOOO expensive
C they re pretty grim
D i dont know who on erath buys in them and there are plenty !
No doubt you will be having a fabulous Sunday lunch !! JEALOUS love fay xx

Christine @ Fash n Chips said...

Hi Christina!

Thanks for telling me about the comments pop-up thing, I had never even paid attention to that before, but fixed it now so I hope it's better! :)

And I'm so behind on commenting myself, having just spent a week with poor wifi reception.. hope to get back into it again this week.

This is a great post, the place looks fabulous! The cherry headpieces are soo Anna Dello Russo :D

Hope you're having a lovely weekend! x

Sage said...

OOOooooh I'd seriously love to be down there...I'd be round there like a shot!

That's it....I must find myself some fabulous clothes to swan around Caithness in (as long as they are thermal and/or jumpers)

Smashingbird said...

This looks amazing! You totally need that cherry hat in your life, gorgeous! xxx

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-ooh love the Pam Hogg leather dress, it looks so amazing and really fabulous names too!! xx

Vintage Vixen said...

Dear Christina, I think I'd faint if I went there, everything and everyone looks bloody fabulous. Princess Julia is so gorgeous, she never looks anything other than show-stopping.
I love that cherry hat on you, please tell us that you bought it.
Love you. xxx

Wildernesschic said...

God it all looks fabulous.. did you buy the Cherry head piece? If not you should xx

Bourbon&Pearls said...

Oh you're all so cool, I was once back in my teens abd twenties!
If I had your collection of clothes I'd have more than 22 hangers, I love all of your marabou stoles, I have to hunt one down for autumn/winter.
Oh I might be down week after next - if you're around, a glass of bubbly on me at Claridges?

Alison Cross said...

This idea of a pop up shop is great! Especially if there is nothing like it round about it and the stock is as glamfabulous as this (new word!).

I love the cherry headpiece, but I hope that you didn't buy it because of your resolve to be frugal (well, at the moment lol!)

I wish them every success with the venture!

Ali x

Make Do Style said...

WOW xxx

CameronPoe2409 said...

I love the shop's name and the quirkiness of the layout. Sounds like a great place to find some fashion treasures. xx

Ivy Black said...

How fantastic.. I love pop up vintage shops and this looks fabulous!
I'm gonna have to have a visit...t'would be rude not to!
Love the cherry hat.xx

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Pamela, Sarah, Kitty, Sacramento, Mrs TNMA, Fay, Christine, Sage, Becka, Sharon, Ruth, Kate and Claire, thank you for your great comments xx

Dear Vix, absolutely! Julia always looks amazing and stylish. She puts looks together brilliantly and constantly tries new things.

It's great isn't it. Sadly no, I restrained myself. And I have no cards! Love you xx

Dear Ruth, I was good for once! xx

Dear Tabitha, I'd love to xx

Dear Ivy, you must go! xx

Young at Heart said...

brilliant......my favourite kind of shop in one of my favourite streets....a no brainer!! xx

Penny Dreadful said...

Oh I really MUST visit this, the selection looks incredible. I have to try on a cherry headpiece and a Pam Hogg catsuit. Even the books look fabulous. And I adore that picture of Princess Julia in the turban xx

mon sac by me said...

Kitchen is soooo cute !

http://monsacbyme.com

Fashionistable said...

Darn I wish I had read this post yesterday or this morning and I would have popped along today. I will next weekend. Looks amazing. Looking very ADR with the cherries. Xxxx

Alex said...

Oh crappity crap, I'm in London the first weekend in July and it'll be closed by then :( Not fair!

Please tell me you bought the cherry headpiece.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I think Princess Julia is so pretty. She would be an interesting person to have cocktails with.

I dig Nathan's jacket too!

Ms. Moon said...

EVERYONE is so pretty! Now that's a party I think I would have enjoyed a lot.
Love and kisses...M

Anonymous said...

Love the headpieces and Piers Atkinson! He's cute. Alison.

Looking Fab in your forties said...

All Dressed Up with a Cherry on the Top! The shop looks really cool.

MilaneseGAL said...

Dear Christina, great address! Fun pictures! Hugs M