Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Polly Borland, pictures I love and some more hoods



Photography © Polly Borland and used with her kind permission
Alison Goldfrapp

This is one of my favourite pictures.  I think it's beautiful and I love Polly's glittery backgrounds.  Alison is wearing a red hooded cloak by Mrs Jones which sort of follows on from yesterday's post.

Polly Borland is a fantastic photographer and always breaks new ground.  I did a piece about Polly HERE.  Polly's work is as I've said before "simplistic, truthful, sometimes disturbing, often sexual but always humorous".  Polly's latest exhibition Smudge is at the Other Criteria gallery in London W1 until 7th April 2011, do check it out if you get the chance.  There's also a book to accompany it with a foreward by Nick Cave.  Details HERE.

Photographer unknown
Monica Bellucci

Photography by Irving Penn
The fabulous Wilhelmina Cooper, 1964


My budget version £8 from ASOS from a few weeks ago


Cher in sequins


And I love everything in this picture of Twiggy

And now for something random.  I've had this picture knocking around on my desktop for ages


Dolores Del Rio

Isn't this a brilliant picture?  And her leopard hat is fabulous.  I'd love to go to a fancy dress in this!  Maybe with something more catsuit-like at the bottom.  

I love leopard print but I've never thought it suited me, I've always thought I looked a bit too Bet Lynch in it.  After seeing a furry leopard hat on Penny Dreadful Vintage I looked on Ebay and bought this faux fur trapper hat for £6 at Christmas.  I wish it had ears on it like Margaret's.  

This is hardly my most successful look but I think it's quite funny on and it will keep my ears warm when it's freezing.  I haven't actually been out of the house in it yet.


I've thrown a sheepskin stole over my pyjamas and cardigan to take a snap of it.  It wasn't quite working with the PJ's.  It's actually a PJ jumpsuit from M&S Autograph weekend - Ebay £8.99

I have lots more hats and odd bits and bobs that are inspired by old pictures - I shall blog those another day. 

I'm catching up on blog reading and TV tonight.  I have an almost full Sky+ and a list I probably won't get through - Masterchef, The Model Agency and Jamie's Dream School.  And although I know a lot of it's set up I still can't resist The Only Way is Essex.  It's compulsive viewing.  I really like Lydia, James (even though he's hopeless) and Mr Darcy.  And Kirk's quite hot, what do you think?

Hope you have a great evening xxx


24 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Love, love, love Hoods!!

Ms. Moon said...

I love hoods but NEVER wear them up. Why is that?

Little Augury said...

I think you need to have that Twiggy moment- a hood and the shimmer of silver, and the rings. pgt

quintessence said...

Loving all these hoods including both of yours!! But I think my favorite has to be the Dolores Del Rio - I'd love that shot blown up huge in my bathroom or closet - I just love it!!

That's Not My Age said...

I went to see the Polly Borland/Nick Cave exhibition (obviously!) - it's fantastic. Love the hoods!

TheOnlineStylist said...

Love both of those on you Christina - so glam! And I would have never know about the PJ's had you not said! The hoods you featured here are wonderful but I didn't like the ones that Victoria Beckham had on her models on her last collection. Too off-putting.
Hoe you're well and have a great day! xxx

Perdita said...

I love hoods, but I look like a granny in them (I guess it's being short). I tend to use headscarves to get a vintage or exotic look instead- but I still wish I suited hoods!!

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear!! I'm completely hooked on TOWIE this second series, my faves are definitely Arg and Lydia and will he/won't he diet-its so hilarious-Kirk is a cutie, in a not so obvious Mark way too!! Fabulous post, I'm adoring Chers hood and the picture of Monica Belucci and your leopardprint hat is great too!! Hope you have a nice day, here hoping the sun comes out for the weekend xxx

sacramento said...

I like you better than anybody else. I think you are slowly enjoying coming out, and showing us your true beauty and outfits.
Get the actor to take you photo posing or just get a tripod and do it youself.
MIl besos.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Emily said...

Lovely hoods! I used to own this hood-scarf that I wore absooutely all the time. Defintiely an eye-catcher. x LZ

Vintage Vixen said...

You look absolutely ravishing in your hood and leopard hat, followed by Twiggy and Cher. How cool did Twiggy look?
Fab to speak yesterady! I should be home around 3.30ish if you fancy another chat. Love you. xxxx

La Dama said...

I want a red hoodie now,you kinda resemble twiggy in your red hoodie.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I love the red cape by Fee. I think you MUST have it. Is it still around? Could you purchase that bad boy?

The Delores Del Rio photo made me laugh. I think it's sort of taking the leopard skin trend too far.

Alison Cross said...

I love the red hood - and your budget version is, of course, FABLAS!. The Delores Del Rio photo is a riot. I could model myself on her.

I adore Monica Bellucci. I think she is really beautiful and has the kind of face I could look at all day.

As for the trapper hat - get out there and get that worn. All the best people wear hats with ear flaps *coughs* I've got a grey one ;-D

Ali xxxxx

Wildernesschic said...

Lovely photos I love the red hoods .. I love a hood so sexy.. you look fabulous as always I think you really suit red.
I love the leopard too .. its like me in my fox one .. if you are going to wear a hat may as well make it a statement xx

Young at Heart said...

the only thing hooded about me right now are my eyes......don't think those lines are ever going to go now.......wasn't Twiggy just dazzling........x

Penny Dreadful said...

Oh fab, the hat looks great on you! I'm sure you could get Fee to whack on some little ears for you too.

I am having SO much trouble finding time to comment right now. I had no idea working from home was going to take up so much time. I thought I would have MORE time to do things, not less! Looking forward to tomorrow xx

Marilyn said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE... :))) lol--Loving Your blog! ;)) I stumbled upon it while browsing blogs. Very interesting and awesome posts. Great Reads. I'm Marillyn from http://plushafrique.blogspot.com - officially following you now!! ;)) Please stop by sometime.. TY

CameronPoe2409 said...

Fab pictures as per usual, I really need to start using ebay! PS I'm watching the Model Agency but can't get into The Only Way is Essex. xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina I'm a vintage provider from easy.com. Aka the art & handmade community. I want to let you know I always love reading your blogs. Don't let people judge you no one has any right they are just pitty. If you love eBay please try etsy.com it's a site for indie designers and artists to sell there lovely goodies. Bless you gem I'm Filthycoffin. ;)

Fashionistable said...

A great selection of red hoods, be careful in the forest now. I sadly wont be able to make it tomorrow. I knew there was something else happening and had forgotten...we are having family over tomorrow! OOOps. Xxxx

YvonneSedition said...

I love the leopard skin hat on you! xx

MilaneseGAL said...

bellissimo e divertente !!!! baci M

Looking Fab in your forties said...

I love Towie! Lydia and James are my favourites, so funny! Lydia has a blog too!