Saturday, 4 December 2010

Getting enough sleep




Dita Von Teese

I absolutely love my sleep and my bed.  I think bedding is hugely important - I have six goose down pillows on my bed, a mattress topper and a goose down duvet.  Egyptian cotton sheets and silk pillowcases - all bought at knock down prices.  My bed is so comfortable I never want to get out if it!

I have no body clock at all so I tend to be a night person.  I can stay up all night at the drop of a hat.  I don't even mean on a night out.  I can stay up with no help whatsoever, but then I can also sleep for England.  I am perfectly alright on five or six hours but at the weekends I love a lie-in.  There was a time when I stayed up all weekend but my serious partying days are (mostly) over!

I never tire of this film although I've never understood why her bed was so small?

I never wear eye masks but The Actor swears by them.  And a blackout blind.  There can't be a crack of light showing.  His sleep will be interrupted if the Sky+ makes a creaking noise.   Once I'm asleep I'll sleep through anything.  My friend Daisy and I slept through a twenty-two storey tower block being demolished a hundred feet from my house and on one holiday I slept through an earthquake.

Mary Green Breakfast at Tiffany's eye mask

There's something not quite right about the face on this eye mask, or maybe it's the eyebrows?  A bit like when you get a cuddly toy with a wonky eye or something.  Not that I'm into cuddly toys you understand.  My dad bought me a dark brown bear about five years ago "Because he liked it"  Not exactly what I was expecting at my age!


Better than a sleeping pill

I'll only sleep when I'm absolutely on my last legs and my eyes begin to close themselves.  I've taken every possible pill and potion in my time.  I'm sure a lot of it is psychological.   Then I went through a stage when just knowing there was a valium in the house would be enough.  I haven't taken anything for years.  The thing which completely cured me from taking sleeping pills was putting a few drops of lavender oil on my pillow.  Unbelievable really, but it works every time!

I've had my Saturday lie-in then I'm off to keep Mrs Jones company down the road in Shoreditch.  I'm sure it will be lots of fun and will definitely involve a lot of dressing up.  I must take my camera.

Happy Saturday xxx


23 comments:

sacramento said...

I am a morning person. I wake up happy to be alive an full of beans, which is not very good for the people around you...hehehehe.
I am not good past 10 o´clock in the evening. I takes me a long time to really fall sleep though, so I am going to try the few drops of lavander on my pillow.
Thank you for sharing my friend!!!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Missy Vintage said...

My sleep pattern can be most erratic, but when I do nod off I too can sleep through pretty much anything. You are right about the bed, I never! I never noticed that before. I always think the ear plugs whilst uber glam would be deeply uncomfortable and not very practical in real life! x

Steve Finnell said...

u r invited to follow my blog

Poetry Is Life said...

i think i sleep too much honestly

Publish my Style said...

thank you for sharing where to get the mask from Breakfast at Tiffany's (which is also one of my fav movies and i've seen it so many times!!)xx

Wildernesschic said...

I love feather pillows etc but cannot have them due to being allergic to feathers. When I had Harry I bought all new bedding and pillows, but developed a terrible cough, then I got a Parrot and ended up in hospital my asthma was so bad, I didn't know that I had it .. it was an allergy to feathers so now it is all synthetic.. Has to be Egyptian cotton or silk bedding .. even if it means a lot of ironing. xx

Penny Dreadful said...

I will have to try the lavender. I am such a night owl, that is when my brain is most active and I always have trouble getting to sleep. Doesn't seem fair because I then also have trouble waking up! Eye masks are horrible, can't stand the pressure on my eyes. But I'm with the Actor, I turn off all electronic lights however small, and use ear plugs if there is any noise outside. What a diva xx

Make Do Style said...

I swear by Neals Yard Lavender Oil it is the best. I do like an eye mask but mainly in the day or on planes. I actually like the light as I loathe the pitch black, but I always need ear plus as Mr MDS snores!

such a shame I couldn't skip off my Xmas shopping duties xx

Helga! said...

Ooooo,your bed sounds divine!I'd love to crawl on in,tuck myself up with you and have girly chats!I adore my bed,and sleeping is wonderful.But I'm no good at staying up,in fact,my body pretty much switches off when it's had enough,doesn't matter where I am!It's a bit of a pain.I'm generally a morning person,but as I get older,I find I like to sleep in more,which I never used to do much!
Bedding is vital,I like a weighty blankets most of all!And if you tried to take away my electric blanket I would rip you apart with my bare hands!!!
I have 2 sleep masks,but I only occasionaly use them.I more often use earplugs!!
XXX

Mrs. Exeter said...

I love this post! It is so totally worth the effort of laundering egyptian cotton - when you get into bed with fresh sheets after a lovely scented bath, it's the best feeling in the world.

Kitty said...

I so used to be like you, then I had a child, it totally cured me of late nights....

Mrs P said...

I totally agree with you about quality pillows, duvets, sheets but the preference for this luxury makes it almost impossible to sleep over at relatives/friends' homes, and staying at the best hotels imperative!

Kitty said...

Your bed sounds great, I used to sleep like you too until I had a child....

vicki archer said...

Love the lavender drops...but I can't live without my eye mask! xv

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I adore sleeping. I loathe it when unable to do so though this is rare. The lavender works;-)

Alex said...

Christina, I've emailed you about the parcel but I'm not sure if you're still having issues with your email? Anyway, oh my god, I LOVE IT ALL. You are truly wonderful.

You should get The Actor one of these if he's manly enough to cope with a few sequins - http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/invt/5559410571050&bklist=

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-thanks for the lavender oil tip, its great to hear of something that works well, especially regarding sleep deprivation, lol!! Hope you're having a lovely Sunday too, its not as cold as last week, but still cold enough to have to keep snuggled up. xx

E is for Eleanor said...

haha oh Christina! I love my sleep too! One of new ears resolutions will be to get a new mattress, a topper, new duvet, pillows and bedding. My mattress is so terrible right now- I can feel all the springs! It gives me nightmares, if you'll pardon the pun! x

Package holiday deals for Puerto de la Cruz said...

I did not take anything for years. The thing that completely cured me of taking sleeping pills has been to put a few drops of lavender oil on my pillow.

Young at Heart said...

rescue remedy, lavender oil and hot chocolate with a couple of crushed cardamom pods are my best remedies.....non of which i had last night and had a horrid night of bad dreams between being wide awake....am feeling most sorry for myself today...

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I slept through a record earthquake at Turnberry, Scotland in 1984. Didn't bother me a bit. I thought: Oh, is the bed shaking? Nah, surely not. And I rolled over and went back to sleep.

Jill said...

I'll have to try the lavender oil. I have a terrible time sleeping...or rather, not sleeping.

Chef Apron said...

You are right in bed, I never! I never noticed before.