Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Fabulous in fur



Even though I don't wear real fur for ethical reasons, I have to admit it looks fabulous.  I wish they could manufacture faux fur that looks as good as this, I'm sure they will one day.

Fur seems to be everywhere at the moment.  A lot of people I know don't wear fur anymore but back in the day a fur coat was the height of glamour and sophistication.

Here's a collection of new and vintage pictures from a folder on my overloaded desktop. 


Elizabeth Taylor


Liz Taylor has expensive taste in furs and jewellery.  Check out the Taylor Burton diamond she's wearing


Elizabeth Taylor - that is some collar

Marlene Dietrich

Photography by Anthony Maule
Emily DiDonato


Frankie Rayder

Marianne Faithfull


Rod Stewart


Catherine Deneuve in YSL

Photography by David Bailey
Jerry Hall


Carole Lombard


1950's fur modeling


Hedy Lamarr


Rita Hayworth

Photography by Norman Parkinson
Wenda Parkinson

Photography by Nati Sakai
Naty Chabanenko

Photography by Justin Ridler
Amy Finlayson

Photography by Dean Isidro
Martha Streck

Photography by Dean Isidro
Martha Streck

Photography by Dean Isidro
Martha Streck

Photography by David Sims


Elizabeth Taylor in leopard coat and shoes


Verushka - What a great picture

Photography by Steven Meisel
Freja Beha Ericsson and Iselin Steiro


Louis Vuitton AW10

Photography by Camilla Akrans
Edita Vilkeviciute

Photography by Inez Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin
Daria Werbowy

Photography by Steven Meisel

Photography by Camilla Akrans
Carmen Kass

Photography by Sølve Sundsbø
Natasha Poly does Catherine Deneuve

Photography by Steven Meisel
Kate Winslet

Photography by Greg Kadel
Lily Donaldson

Photography by Mario Testino
Anja Rubik and Lily Donaldson


David Bowie

Portrait by Lucian Freud
Girl in fur coat

Painting by Beryl Cook
My fur coat


Photography by 
Hilary Rhoda

Photography by Justin Ridler
Amy Finlayson



Elizabeth Taylor - now that is fabulous!

As it's been so called I'm thinking about buying a new hat.  I love fur hoods and anything inspired by Dr Zhivago.  I've bought a few but none of them have been right so I give them to friends.

Geraldine Chaplin and Omar Sharif in Dr Zhivago

Photography by Mert Atlas and Marcus Piggott
Kate Moss

Photography by Mert Atlas and Marcus Piggott
Kate Moss


Ali Michaels - I wish I could find this hat in sheepskin

Photography by Raymond Meier
Eniko Mihalik

Painting by Charles Reutlinger
Woman in a fur hat and coat to go riding in an automobile


Joan Collins


Elizabeth Taylor


Grace Jones

Photography by Karl Lagerfeld
Abbey Lee Kershaw

Photography by Jean François Campos
Bregje Heinen - What an amazing picture

Julie Christie and Omar Sharif in Dr Zhivago


Geraldine Chaplin

Photography by Don English
Marlene Dietrich

Photography by Camilla Akrans
Romina Lanaro

Photography by Franco Rubartelli
Verushka wearing a fur wrap by Giorgio Di Sant'angelo


Daria Werbowy - I could never wear this on my head

Photography by Mario Testino
Claudia Schiffer

If this isn't enough to put you off fur then this commercial might...  It is a brilliant ad.  Does anyone remember this anti-fur ad directed by David Bailey and set at a fashion show?  I can't believe this was made in 1985!  The slogan has stuck in my head ever since.


I shall be playing it safe with a sheepskin headband from Celtic Sheepskin Company.  The hats always seem to be too wide for my pin head so this looks like the perfect thing for me.

I'm not sure which colour to go for?


Black


Or ivory

What do you think?

I've been working so I haven't been online.  I shall look forward to catching up with everybody's blogs on Thursday xxx



29 comments:

MilaneseGAL said...

Lovely pictures, I am with you on the ethical issue. Check out the fall - winter Chanel collection, lots of great Eco furs to choose from. A hug from Milan

FASHION ICE said...

amazing post! love (faux) fur

feel free to Follow Me xoxo
twitter: @FASHION_ICE

legend in his own lunchtime said...

Ivory every time. Your blonde tresses would look amazing set against this beautiful soft color. Black is too severe.
I love these shots, but I have to admit a soft spot for Marianne Faithful.

LouBoo said...

Hi Christina - I love the look of these pictures so I am right there with you in wishing a faux version would look as amazing. Strangely - being half Danish, I remember seeing real fur shops in Copenhagen not even that long ago. As it gets sooooo cold there they seemed somehow more justified as the Danes used them for warmth. Genuinely I can recall my aunt getting a mink for Christmas from her husband - to the envy of everyone. I was a child so didn't really get the implications of 'how did that fur start its life?' Anyway - looking at these pictures makes me think of Danes strolling up their main shopping street Stroget - dressed in real fur. Lou x

Vintage Vixen said...

Welcome back, Christina!
What a gorgeous selection of images. You're right, it is fabulously glamorous and maybe the fact that the wearer doesn't give a damn about what they are wearing makes them all the more sexy for it. It's not for me, either although I've a couple of vintage things with fur trims which I'm not sure if they are real or fake.
I inherited quite a lot of shoulder capes with heads attached and fox stoles and they gave me the creeps.
Definately go for the ivory, fabulous with your beautiful colouring. xxx

Wildernesschic said...

Hi I was worried about you , glad you are backxx
Lovely images, I a afraid that I love fur, and wear it. I think unless I am prepared to wear plastic rather than leather and not eat meat that there is not a lot of difference ..I do however try to buy it from charity shops and second hand so that I feel it has a purpose ....and its a lot cheaper.
The head band I would probably go for black xx

Eating Diamonds said...

Stunning! I love fur - I do wear vintage fur, but I'd never buy a real fur piece brand new.

I love the Beryl Cook painting - I know her granddaughter.

Emma x

Make Do Style said...

Oh ivory headband! Love the images xx

Kate said...

Beautiful pictures as ever!! Big fur coats always instantly remind me of my own granny and then Nancy Mitford's 'The Pursuit of Love' (I think Linda wears one when she first arrives in Paris). So random! I would definitely say the ivory.....or both! xx

Kate

www.notanotherfuckingfashionblog.blogspot.com

Penny Dreadful said...

Elizabeth Taylor looks magnificent, doesn't she. I do want a big fluffy hat like that, but same as you I am holding out for the right one.

That advert is very emotive, lots of the ones from the 80s and 90s were. I do wear fur, as I wear leather and sheepskin and eat meat. The same standards should naturally be applied to the fur trade as any other farm trade involving animals. Even the majority of the vintage stuff you see is from rabbits, which are farmed just the same as sheep. I'm probably a bit more pragmatic about the whole issue, as I grew up on a cattle farm and had more of an involvement with the whole 'cycle' from a young age.

snowystylista said...

Amazing collection of fur. It just looks fabulous eh? I have thought about getting a vintage fur coat as it would be soo warm in the snow but I really cannot take any more stuff!!! e xxx

Fashionistable said...

I agree. I dont/wouldnt wear the real thing either. The fakes are getting better all the time though. Xxxx

Young at Heart said...

when I was a radical-rock-against-everything art student I managed to convince myself wearing an ancient fur coat found in the back of a Brighton junk shop was OK, as in it's dead already...... now not so sure, but fake is sooo fabulous we can all enjoy the fun of the fur... can you spring for black and ivory?? We must meet soon, will call you, ..... before next year!!!

That's Not My Age said...

I'm with you and Stella McCartney on this one, I'd never wear fur. My faux fur sixties leopard print coat 'The Beast' looks just as good as the real thing!

Mrs P said...

I am with Wilderness Chic on this one, I do love fur, I think it should be vintage if possible and definitely ethically farmed (interestingly though I would not feel comfortable wearing anything like the wolf hat - this probably makes me a hypocrite) - and actually unless you are in Italy it is quite difficult to wear fur and feel confident that you will not be challenged - I hate confrontation but would fight my corner if the need arose. I love the sheepskin from Celtic, I have a hat and boots from them and a gilet from Joseph. I think you will look fab in both headbands so I would have the same dilemma.

Anonymous said...

I adore your blog. As a fan of Elizabeth Taylor you even surprised me with a photo I hadn't seen before, so that was a wonderful treat!

When I last saw her in person, three years ago at her "Love Letters" benefit in Hollywood (her first time on stage in nearly a quarter of a century!), she was wearing a gorgeous fur with beautiful earrings from Richard Burton. She really is the ultimate movie star!

Andy
DameElizabethTaylor.com

Alex said...

Oh definitely the ivory one.

I used to have a pet chinchilla so the thought of someone skinning so many of them just to make one coat makes me feel quite sick. I just don't think there's any need for it nowadays really.

Smashingbird said...

I have to say I love fur, I only wear vintage fur. It is the warmest thing you can wear, and I think it looks rather glamorous. I bought a vintage fur capelet earlier this year, but I still haven't worn it!

Pearl Westwood said...

You know they actually can manufacture faux which looks exactly like real fur, its just most people dont actually want to pay so much for faux. Tissavel are an excellent manufacturer for example. I am really not a fan of real fur but really love fake.

I would go for both hats LOL, but yeah definately the paler one for blones. xx

Summer Baby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Summer Baby said...

Sorry i spelt it wrong lol :) I love fur but only fake. I love animals to much to wear real ... love your posts xx

Alison Cross said...

Yep - the look is fabulous, but it comes at too high a cost for me - animals look best in their own skins ;-)

That is a hell of a plate-scratcher diamond Taylor is wearing. It's soo well-chisled it could be one of Johnny Depp's cheekbones!

Love you!

Ali xxxx

Carl said...

Excellent to know about the collection of new and vintage pictures,also the pictures are great to see.

__________________
Dissertation Help

Anonymous said...

These blonde tresses would look amazing set against this beautiful soft color. Black is too severe.
I love these shots, but I have to admit a soft spot for Marianne Faithful.

Send flowers to Pakistan

Anonymous said...

WTF THAT POST IS JUST FOR WATCH HOW THE FUCK THE FASHION WORLD IS FULL OF SHIT!!!!! 100 foxes for weared by one fuckin bitch.....

A-Tom said...

Beautiful photos!!!
Thank you very much!

Natassa said...

Fabulous!!! If you have time check out my blog for ore designs of fur coats :)

http://novembrebeaute.blogspot.gr/p/fur-shop.html

Thank you,
xxx

Max Well said...

Nice post thank for sharing this. Fur coats look tremendously modern and fantastic. They are available in different colours, sizes, styles and at prices as well.

Mink coats for women |leather jackets for women

Sampson Greenovich said...

I have been a huge fan of manufactured fur for years. Ever since the mid 70's when animal rights activists enlightened me to a better way of life. I have worn fake fur for years.
http://www.jacquesferber.com/care-cleaning.php