Friday, 29 October 2010

Friday quotes - Joan Collins




"The problem with beauty is that
it's like being born rich and getting poorer"

Joan Collins
(b. 1933)

I've always been a huge fan of Joan Collins, she's a British institution.  Joan looks amazing, she's funny and she has balls.  I think she's fabulous.  When her first book came out I bought it immediately - who wouldn't want to know Joan's tips for looking good?

One of my dream nights out would be with Joan and Christopher Biggins!  I am mad on Biggins, I love him he's hilarious.

Joan says she's never slept with a man younger than forty two.  Her fifth husband Percy Gibson is thirty two years her junior.  Joan says this is the happiest she's ever been and that Percy is her best friend.  Good on her!






"I've never yet met a man who could look after me.
I don't need a husband.  What I need is a wife"





"According to my sister Jackie, most men stray.  And sex doesn't mean anything to most men.  But I wouldn't date a man who slept around.  Absolutely not, I've divorced people for that"


With Warren Beatty





Photograph © Slim Aaron

"Show me a person who hasn't made a mistake and I'll show you somebody who hasn't achieved much"










"I think it has something to do with being British.  We don't take ourselves too seriously as some other countries do.  I think a lot of people take themselves far too seriously; I find that a very tedious attitude."



 

"I have always lived my life with enthusiasm and pleasure"




"Age, in my opinion, has no bearing at all, that is unless,
of course, one happens to be a bottle of wine"


"I think dieting is bad for you.  I believe in eating well, not eating too much but eating a variety of foods"

 

"The unfortunate statistics are that there are far more available and fabulous over forty women than there are available and fabulous over forty men"






"Even my dressing room at the studio has candles and cushions and cashmere rugs and things"


"I consider you as old as you look and feel.  And in that case I feel about thirty nine, like Jack Benny"

"I have to do something.  Whether it's painting, writing, acting, shopping, going to the gym, being with friends, going out - I'm just a very active person.  I have a lot of friends and I travel a lot"

With Christopher Biggins

"I have a lot of male friends, we go shopping and to the cinema.  A lot of men friends I know love shopping"

"He's my best friend.  We've not found any generational gap at all.  If he wants to go to a football game, he goes.  If I want to go to a fashion show, I go.  We don't have to do everything together.  But we like doing most things together"




"After a certain age you get the face you deserve"


When asked about the age difference between her and husband Percy, Joan quipped:

"If he dies, he dies!"

Joan Collins
(b. 1933)


I love it! xxx



24 comments:

La Porta Màgica said...

joan collins ...I like the seventies stile of joan, very natural and diferent!

kisses

tatiana

Vintage Vixen said...

Dear Christina, you tend to forget how absolutely naturally gorgeous Joanie was as a young woman, don't you?
I love the one where she's wearing nothing but a towel, she looks incredible.
There were a few inteviews with her in that pile of Film Show annuals I picked up last week. In one she marvels at how, in America, "Even servants drive cars". xxx

YSL Sunglasses said...

So beautiful and awesome pictures are these one..

Make Do Style said...

Joan is my absolute fav! Her quotes are brilliant and I've only met her once (at a dinner) but she truly is the most wonderful person.

I love the images you've picked. The 70s ones are incredible. I'm sure I've mentioned I live a lot of dilemmas in my life by 'what would Joan do'. I've written a book on it but never done anything with it!

You've made my day xx

Simone said...

I absolutely agree, I think she's brilliant....very funny and just a great spirit and attitude.

Fabulous photos of her, love that first one - I think her daughter looks very much like her in that one and love the one of her and Jackie together.

As for the "not sleeping with a man under the age of 42" - surely that's not true?! What about Warren Beatty?! Maybe I am reading that too literally! Her first marriage was when she was only about 20 wasn't it?

Percy sounds like a sweetheart, they make a great couple.

Happy Friday :) xx

Dash said...

Hi Christina, wonderful post Joan is my ultimate heroine, she was fabulous at all ages, let me know when you go out for the evening with Joan and Christopher, I will tag along too!
XXX

Meera said...

Love her!
Please check out/follow my blog!

-M

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Tatiana, absolutely Joan is very stylish. Hope you're well xx

Dear Vix, wasn't she a stunner! That's so funny! It really is another world! I love all those old interviews. Did you watch Keith on the Culture Show last night? xx

Dear YSL, thank you. I trawled through quite a few and picked my favourites xx

Dear Kate, yes she's wonderful. I met her at a party years ago very briefly and loved her too.

Oh wow! I would love to read that!! I have 'What would Keith Richards do?' but Joan's would be amazing! Ah! that's lovely! xx

Dear Simone, isn't she just? Yes I love that one too, I hadn't seen it before.

What she meant was at the time she slept with them not now. Warren was 21 when she met him and she was 25. God he was gorgeous! I've heard great reports about him too!

Yes it's lovely she's met the right one at last. Have a fab Friday xx

Dear Dash, I love her. Can you imagine Joan and Biggins! Wouldn't that be a great night! xx

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Meera, me too. I'm following you. You can follow me back now! Have a great weekend xx

snowystylista said...

She really is wonderful, so glamorous. Just how women should be. e xx
Ps, thanks for your lovely comment over at Ms Fabs.

Alex said...

I only really know her from the 80's on so I've really enjoyed some of the earlier pics. The one with the green stripy dress is amazing - so naturally beautiful.

Only one Warren Beatty pic though? Tut tut ;-)

CameronPoe2409 said...

Great post, Joan is just fabulous and I didn't realise who beautiful she was when she was younger!

Santa said...

I think you know how I feel about Joan! Great post.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear E, I couldn't agree more! You're very welcome! Hope you're good, can't believe you're off soon! xx

Dear Alex, yes beautiful! And so was Warren! xx

Dear Cameron, I love digging out old photos and there were some amazing ones of her xx

Dear Santa, the feeling is mutual. I should dedicate this post to you! Hope you're good? xx

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Joan is great. You have found some amazing photos of her. We love her in America, too!

Have a great weekend, doll.

SB

Alison Cross said...

Isn't she a fantastic looking woman! Wonderful selection of photos and quotes.

And yes, a night with Joan and Biggins would be hilarious! I bet you could get that organised :-)

Ali x

Jill said...

The epitome of a STAR! Loved this post and adored her quotes.

Sensible Footwear said...

Love seeing these photos of Joan. She exudes confidence and also seems to have a lot of fun - I like that. She was exceptionally beautiful as a young woman wasn't she?

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-I haven't met her, but have always adored her-always loved her in Dynasty and she was and is so stunning and radiant looking too, such a wonderful tribute post my dear. have a lovely weekend Christina! xx

That's Not My Age said...

Even though she votes Tory, I still like Joanie! Have you seen the episode of Come Dine With Me with Christopher Biggins? It's the best, ever.

Caroline, No. said...

Absolutely awesome, she's stunning at all ages. Totally agree with her on the wife point, far more useful than a husband. She is definitely an institution. x

Looking Fab in your forties said...

She is amazing, I love her and what great quotes! Perhaps you could do a post on Diana Dors, I love her too!

Fashionistable said...

Great shots and brilliant quotes. Love the last one it has me in stitches.
Re some of your comments which I keep meaning to answer properly here - I used to live in the East End too. When I 1st moved from Manchester where I went to Uni I lived in Mile End. On the way home from clubbing we used to hop off the night bus to go for cream cheese bagels in Brick Lane. When I shoot around there now I still go to the same shop and bring a bag of them home. My husband also loves their cheesecake. Also thank you for the link re Sara the girl from BB. Xxxx

Rose C'est La Vie said...

What a scorcher of a dame! I loved all this too. When she said she didn't take herself seriously, it reminded me of that great ad in the 80s where Leonard Rossiter throws a glass of Martini over her (by mistake). She fields it with such aplomb. She is an inspiration still.