Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Show you my wardrobe - Part one



Photography by Anthony Maule
Emily Didonato

I've finally begun the reorganisation of my wardrobe.  As well as a huge amount of black there are also some quite ridiculous but fun numbers in there.  I don't own a single T shirt, or a single pair of jeans.  I don't even own that many tops, mostly dresses.  It used to be funny when I was single... if a boy stayed and the next day they asked if I had T shirt or sweatshirt they could borrow.  I would have to say "Sorry I don't.  I have a small backless sequin top if you fancy it?"  You have been warned!

I've accumulated so much stuff over the years.  A lot of it I've given away so what you'll see is a selection of what I've kept.  Some of the pieces I've had since I was seventeen and they've come back into fashion a few times already.  I wasn't sure where to start as there are so many different things.

So, I thought I'd start with my love of marabou and feathers.  I have a few vintage pieces with swan down which is unbelievably soft.  As I keep saying I love look of fur but I don't like the wearing it as I keep thinking about dead animals.  For some reason I'm fine with sheepskin, probably because I eat lamb.  I find marabou is a good alternative to fur and great for glamming up a look.


Bette Davis



Lana Turner

I grew up watching old Hollywood movies and was very influenced by them.  I can name pretty much any Thirties, Forties or Fifties actors from their pictures alone.  That era has hugely inspired the way I dress as well as  a lot of my decor.


Jean Harlow in Dinner at Eight, 1933
I think the outfit and the room are amazing!


Photography by Sofia Sanchez and Mauro Mongiello
Siri Tollerod

A modern day version, of course I love this even more as it has a hood.

Most of my clothes are either high street, designer or vintage.  Very often bought for a fraction of the retail price on Ebay or at sales with the occasional piece from one of my designer friends.

Luckily, I have a good memory for how much I paid for everything.  Every one of these pieces were bought from 1997 onwards on Ebay in the UK or America or from secondhand shops.  All the prices are what I paid, not the retail price.


Cream marabou jacket by Fenn, Wright and Manson, £40 on Ebay



Vintage white marabou stole £50 from a vintage stall in Spitalfields



White marabou shoulder shrug by Jasper Conran, £20 on Ebay



Vintage English knitted bed jacket with silk lining and swan down, £45 from a vintage shop in Islington



Vintage 1950's Elizabeth Arden knitted bed jacket with silk lining and swan down, £35 from Ebay



Pale blue silk dressing gown with marabou trim by Mary Green, £15 from Ebay



Powder blue marabou shrug by Reiss, £25 from Ebay



Blue marabou shrug with feather shoulders by Coast, £30 from Ebay



Black marabou jacket by Top Shop, £40 from Ebay



Black marabou shoulder shrug by Jasper Conran, £20 from Ebay

Hope this bit of fluff cheers up a rainy Monday! xxx

I'm off to a friend's Birthday - dinner... and bowling!!  What the hell AM I going to wear to go BOWLING??  I've only been once since I was a kid so I'll be terrible!

For part two of 'Show you my wardrobe' CLICK HERE


27 comments:

Kim Bowen said...

Wear a feather bolero for Christ's sake!

snowystylista said...

Wow what a lot of gorgeous feathery fluffiness! Looking forward to the next installment.
e xx

Vintage Vixen said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited to see some of your wonderful feathery pieces. How utterly fantastic they all are, Christina, and what amazing bargains. Those two bed jackets are out of this world, can you imagine lounging in Jean Harlow's bedroom being served breakfast by a willing servant dressed in one of those? I can't wait to see more. xxx

Smashingbird said...

I am loving the marabou, soo chic. V excited to see more!

Wildernesschic said...

I cannot wait to see you feeding my chickens in one of those little numbers LOL
How gorgeous they all are, I have always loved fluff.. I used to love feather boas when I was young.
I think I love the blue shrug from Coast the most xx

Kate said...

I gave my 6 yr old niece a cream marabou capelet (monsoon kids) for xmas last year, and she wears it with everything. There'll be tears when it's too small for her.

Santa said...

Your wardrobe is VERY Joan. How fabulous! I definitely need more marabou.

Dash said...

Oh Christina love the back story, those pieces are all gorgeous, wonderfully fluffy and feminine.
As for bowling, just be your gorgeous, glamorous self and no one will notice if your terrible.
XXX

That's Not My Age said...

Blimey, your boudoir and maribou collection are something else. I think I'm being glamorous when I wear a pair of diamanté earrings with my jeans and t-shirt!

Alison said...

wow, is that really your collection? i wish i could say that my wardrobe was similar, but unfortunately i would be lying.

legend in his own lunchtime said...

You'd look great in sack cloth.
You might need a bit of the Emma Peel for bowling

Butterfly said...

Firstly well done on the bowling - I refused to go when i was a "fashion student" as I couldn't bring myself to wear those horrid clown shoes. Never been since. I'm sure I'm missing out on some fun though.
Love the fluffy post, fabulous pieces. Your wardrobe sounds amazing! xx

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-ooh what excitement to see your gorgeous wardrobe, you've truly built up a stunning collection here, I adore all your pieces, lucky you indeed!! xx

Vintage Vixen said...

Dear Christina, in my excitement over your wardrobe I forgot to mention the bowling. Have a drink, forget the hideous footwear and dazzle everyone with your fabulous looks and sparkly star earrings! xxx

Alex said...

Well if you didn't wear something feathery to go bowling in, I'll be most disappointed! Everything is stunning but the bed jackets are especially divine. They must be instant mood enhancers - I can't imagine slipping one of those on and not immediately feeling more glamorous.

With the ebay purchases - did you search specifically for them or just come across them whilst browsing? I just never seem to have any luck with ebay goodies and am wondering how other people turn up such fantastic bargains.

Judy said...

i'm completed in love with your marabou jackets- the cream one by fenn and the black one by topshop. Great pieces I'd love to see in my closet as well

xx
Judy

Calamity Jem said...

Hi,
what a totally amazing collection of feathery flufftastic chicness!
I agree with Vix the bed jackets are sensational.
I've only got one Marabou feather jacket in my wardrobe, it's from the 80s, it's claret red & it was a complete bargain on eBay at a mere £15.
Thank for leaving comments on my blog, they made me chuffed to bits :)
...xXx

Miss Peelpants said...

Someone gave me a full length white marabou coat a while ago and I have yet to wear it out and about. It's very 'Servalan' (from Blakes 7) and I love it!!! Drama drama....

Polly Peck did some dreamy ones back in the Seventies...

PinkJack said...

OMG you cant get rid of these pieces, they're gorgeous. what a delightful world you inhabit x

little augury said...

Birds of a feather- flock to marabou, all darling pieces especially the blue ones.

Alison Cross said...

I cannot wait to see the rest of the stuff you own if this is just the maribou feather collection!!

*impressed face*

Ali xxxx

Simone said...

It's official....you ARE the most glamorous person I know :)

LOVE all the marabou, love the model - and the black knickers, very cute!

Lana Turner is SO beautiful....wow!

I cannot believe you have no t-shirts or jeans - well, I can but I can't, if you know what I mean!!

Can't wait for more of the wardrobe reveal :) xx

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Kim, SS, Vix, Becka, Ruth, Kate, Santa, Dash, Alyson, Alison, Legend, Butterfly, Sharon, Alex, Judy, Jem, Miss Peelpants, David, Gaye, Ali and Simone,

Thank you for your wonderful comments - I warned you a lot of my wardrobe is not the norm. I'm really glad you liked the fluffy post... More to come when I've waded through it all.

Your marabou pieces sound fabulous. I love to hear about other people's bargains. I have some great bargains which I'll share with you soon.

Thank you again,

Love Christina xx

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I love all your maribou pieces, but I particularly love the blue one. I dig blue.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Darling SB, me too xx

SPLENDEROSA said...

Hello darling, just home along with house guests who came in at the same time. Now, about these photos. Utterly extraordinary, simply splendid...& I can see ALL of them on you. What great finds, C. Never give them up. I don't have jeans either, never have...not our style, missy. xx's

donna artz said...

ok, that jacket collection renewed my faith in the human race!!! especially the glamourous femme fatale
sector.