Sunday, 28 February 2010

The Pursuit of Love & Love in a Cold Climate




I shall start re reading The Pursuit of Love this week followed by of course, Love in a Cold Climate.  The two books are often published together.  It's been twenty five years since I first read them and I can't wait to enjoy them again.

The Pursuit of Love is the first in a trilogy of novels about an upper class family, supposedly Nancy's own with names changed.  All her books are incredibly witty, delightful and totally un PC.  Anyone who hasn't read them should start with these two and frankly we could all do with some escapism from our English weather!

I love old books and there have been some beautiful covers, here are some of them.







Photograph by Cecil Beaton



Photograph by Bassano



Photograph by Cecil Beaton







When I've finished reading the books I shall watch the Dvd I've just ordered from Amazon of the TV series starring Rosamund Pyke, John Light, Elisabeth Dermot Walsh, Sheila Gish and Alan Bates.  I watched another version in 1980 with Judi Dench and her husband Michael Williams, sadly I can't remember much about it as I was only eleven at the time!


7 comments:

Lewis William said...

Oh please do so! It's so sad when all the award hype spoils the simplicity of a good film worth watching.
Thank you for the lovely comment, I've long admired your work from afar, but worried I was too much of philistine! x

Christina Lindsay said...

I will definitely after what you said. You're welcome! Your blog is great you write really well. I am a fan. Love C xx

house mouse said...

I remember the TV version in 1980, it was the reason I read the books. I have The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate here also, and they're two of the very few books I'll be taking with me when I move to Spain. I'm catching up on the last few days of your blog, it looks like you have some more Nancy Mitford news which I shall read now x

Carinthia said...

Hello, I know it's ages since you wrote this post but I've only just found it. A Mitford-phile who has just re-read The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate for abut the fifteenth time, I was doing a search on Nancy, and found this post.
I hope you enjoyed the DVD - do try and get hold of the 1980 version though, it was far superior and much more Nancy and true to the book. Very un-PC. It's hard to find but worth the hunt.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear House mouse, I haven't been able to find it until now... Hope your move went really well xx

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Carinthia,

Thanks for your comment. I didn't actually watch it and STILL haven't. I have heard the 1980 version is better - anything with Judi Dench and Michael Williams in I know will be marvellous.

I have found a place in Canada to buy it on DVD from. I get paid this week so will be ordering a copy immediately.

http://www.rarevideo.ca/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=11

Thanks for making me track that down xx

YvonneSedition said...

I hope the Canadian one is in the correct area format for you, it's such a faff having to change the viewing format around and you can only do it a couple of times xx